Gills win despite early scare against Ipswich

Gillingham Ladies 3 Ipswich Town Ladies 2 

Gillingham produced a great second half comeback to defeat Ipswich Town Ladies at Chatham Town FC on Sunday

Gillingham started the game brightly and they almost took the lead. Jade Keogh got the ball after the referee played on for an advantage, she got to the edge of the penalty area, and hit a low shot towards goal but it went wide.

Ipswich took the lead after 17 minutes; Gillingham failed to clear the ball out of the defence, and this let Libby Dixon to have a shot on goal. The ball took a massive deflection which wrong footed Shanly as the ball went into the bottom corner of the net.

Ipswich doubled their lead three minutes later. A clearance by Emma Tune was deflected and this let in Amanda Crump to take the ball and slot it past the outrushing Shanly and into the back of the net.

Before half time, Gillingham got back into the game when Lauren Davis scored a brilliant goal. She got the ball on the edge of the penalty area, she saw Leanne Smith off her line. She lobbed the ball over Smith and the ball nestled into the net.

Half time: Gillingham LFC 1 (Davis, 32) Ipswich Town LFC 2 (Dixon 17, Crump 20)

The second half saw Gillingham come out with a lot of fighting spirit, and five minutes in they were back on level terms. A free kick was drilled into the penalty area by Emma Tune, and Kallie Balfour got a foot on the end of the cross to divert the ball into the bottom corner of the net.

Gillingham continued to looking for the goal that would give them the lead. April Bowers had a great chance to do that when she broke through on goal. She raced ahead of the Ipswich defender, before hitting a shot which sped past Smith, but it cannoned off the post and the ball was cleared away.

With ten minutes left, Gillingham completed the comeback and took the lead through Lydia Wills. She got the ball on the right of the penalty area, and like with Davis, she saw Smith off her line, and she decided to lob the ball over her. She did it brilliantly and the ball ended up in the back of the net.

Kallie Balfour did have another chance to score a fourth goal for Gillingham. She worked well to get into the penalty box and divert the ball into the net from a Shannon Redhouse cross, but the linesman saw she moved too quickly and disallowed the goal for offside.

Final Score: Gillingham Ladies 3 (Davis 32, Balfour 50, Wills 82) Ipswich Town Ladies 2 (Dixon 17, Crump 20)



Gillingham Ladies:

Courtney Shanly, Lauren Williams (Georgia Reece,88), Rachel Ahern, Emma Tune, Vanisha Patel, Lauren Davis, Ashleigh Loosemore, Jade Keogh, April Bowers (Madison North,77), Shannon Redhouse (Lydia Wills 77), Kallie Balfour.

Subs: Georgia Reece, Lydia Wills, Maddison North

Ipswich Town Ladies:

Leanne Smith, Jal Ball, Coral Young, Sian Fagg, Aimee Harrison, Lindsey Smith, Amanda Crump, Roxanne Small, Libby Dixon, Zoe Cossey, Molly Hall.

Subs: Cassie Craddock, Jo Foy, Hollie Clement


Referee: Piotr Zachwieja

Linesman: Marc Moore and Joseph Obe

Attendance: 74


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s